Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Driving Home

Driving home from work is usually a way for me to get my thoughts back to home. Once I am over the bridge, I try to leave work behind. Last Friday it wasn't that easy. We all had been praying for rain for so long. It finally came. But with the beauty and need for rain comes the dangers of rain. Lots of bad car accidents. About 2 hours before the end of my shift a beautiful blonde headed boy came in after a bad accident. His mother went to another hospital. His father came with him. By the time I was leaving for home it was apparent that the boy probably wouldn't survive. His mother might not either. I left home knowing my family was safely in their beds also knowing a husband and fathers life was surely about the change. I felt horribly guilty. Between the rain and the tears it was difficult driving home. I found myself yelling at cars speeding by me to slow down. They had no idea what this poor man was going through. I didn't want anyone else to have to go through it. Knowing they couldn't hear me I started yelling at God. I knew God was listening. It took me awhile to feel like I could go to bed. The hugs and kisses I give my kids when I get home from work took much longer. I didn't want to let go. It was a rough night. Saturday, I was physically and especially emotionally exhausted. It was a long tiring day. My heart was not totally into my little girls birthday party with our families. Sunday came and it felt like I was getting back to normal.

I did find out on Monday, when I went back to work that the beautiful blonde boy had died. It helps to know he is with God. How can he not be. So, pray for this family and the nurses and Drs who took care of him. I was only on the sideline but I hope my prayers for the dad have helped in some way. Driving home Monday night was much better. I was able to bring my thoughts back home.

4 comments:

Alex said...

(((Joy)))

You are God's hands and heart in this world. Thanks for your work.

Joy said...

Alex,Thanks for your sweet comment. I feel the same about you.

Liz said...

I cried at your words. We are all one family and your prayers sent out will bring back peace to this father; prayers from people who do not even know him but who care and share his unknowable pain.

Joy said...

Thanks Liz, for your comforting words. I see where Alex gets it!! :)