Saturday, January 5, 2008

Goodbye 2007

I've been putting Christmas decorations away today. As I take things down and put things back I have also been taking the time to throw things out and dust. New Years day I went through the 2007 calendar and filled in all the birthdays, anniversarys and any other dates I need to keep track off . I'm trying to stay more organized this year and keep on top of things. I want to keep things more simple, so I have more time to enjoy life.

Recently I found out a friends daughter...who happens to be my daughters age...has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Several of us have lost touch with this friend over the past few years but we will forget about that and be there for them now. Cancer is way to close to my family right now. My mother-in-law, a mom of one of the Brownies in my little girls troop and now Emily. I've seen shirts on parents of cancer patients at Cardinal Glennon that say "Cancer Sucks", it sure does. We have to keep it from taking the joy out of our lives.

I guess my throwing out is a way to get rid of those "things" that aren't important. That way I can focus on what is important.
My hope and I guess resolution, is to spend more times saying "yes, I will play a game with you or read to you or watch t.v. with you" to my kids, instead of saying "no, I have to do laundry, or clean, or check bank statements, take decorations down, etc." All this stuff that is happening to friends and family around me is such a reminder to enjoy every second you have.
Sorry to be such a downer today. January always makes me a little melancholy. The house seems dreary without all the bright decorations.
Tomorrow, after the tree is down and all the decorations are put away, we can truly clean out the dust and maybe even rearrange a little( in many ways).
So, here's to 2007 and welcome 2008 with whatever you bring.
Gracious and loving God, be with us all in 2008. Help us to turn to you with the ups and the downs. Especially be with my family and friends that are dealing with the downs right now.
Amen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love you...

Joy said...

Thanks, the feeling is mutual!