Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A long Wonderful Day.

Yesterday, I spent 2 more hours at work than I should have. It was a very busy day. I went in at 9 instead of 11 to help a co-worker with several procedures. Another co-worker of ours called in sick. She missed an incredible day. We helped several patients, some were able to go home after their procedure. The best part of my day began 1 hour before I should have gone home. One of my favorite patients came in for his "tune-up". He has Cystic Fibrosis and has to come in every 3 months to receive iv antibiotics. He is allergic to these antibiotics, so the first time he receives them we have to give them slowly. We start with a very very low dose until about 3 hours later he is up to his regular dose. Every 15 minutes we change the medication on his pump and take his vital signs, while praying he won't have a reaction. This favorite patient of mine and I have a special ritual during this time.....we look at I Spy books.
I have always loved curling up in bed with my kids and reading. It is a special honor to curl up with someone elses kid and look at books. It warms my heart when Michael says to me, "Joy, can we look at I Spy books again". It makes my exhaustion today worth every yawn.
One of our sedation doctors stayed late yesterday as well. Because of that, 2 more children received the procedure they needed. As we thanked him for staying to help us he said, "It's all about the kids". It is definately all about the kids.
It is so rewarding when a patient is happy to see you, gives you a hug and lays his head on your arm while looking at a book together. I miss my kids so much while I am at work but they have learned that I have other kids too.
Thank you God, for patients like Michael who make it all worth while.
Amen

2 comments:

Tinman said...

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it. You make me proud to be your brother. (You should email this to Mom. Unless you think she reads your blog.)

ILY,
J

Liz said...

It IS all about the kids, and they are so lucky to have you. My job is easy compared to yours because mine has never been life and death, and that's pretty much what yours is all the time.