Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Two 11 year old boys

1. Yesterday as I was getting ready to take the kids to school, my son asked me, "Mom have you ever campaigned this hard for any other candidate?". I explained to him that I really didn't see my self as campaigning and No I have never been this excited about a Presidential candidate. He said with pride in his voice, "But you are campaigning. You have a bumper sticker on your car and you have sent out emails". He had pride in his voice. What a good feeling that was.

2. Last night towards the end of my work day, I was feeling particularly tired and ready for the shift to end. It had been a busy day. I went into the ER room of an 11 year old boy who was headed to surgery to have his appendix removed. I had to give the dad a form to fill out to be admitted. The boy seemed extremely uncomfortable. Come to find out he needed to use the restroom. Because of a cumbersome IV, I took him to the nearest bathroom. I asked him if he was doing ok and he told me he was scared. We talked about the surgery and what was going to happen. I explained that he would be asleep and wouldn't feel a thing. He then began to talk about his mother who had passed away several years ago from cancer. He explained that she was a christian and that she decided to leave everything in Gods hands in spite of the fact that his dad and he reminded her that God have given the Dr.'s the knowledge to help her. She refused chemo and died. We talked about his dream of wanting to become a professional magician. He said he knows his mom is watching over him. I reassured him that I believe she is watching over him and that God is by her side. When we were finished with our conversation he told me he enjoyed talking to me. I told him I enjoyed it too and that I would be watching for his name as a professional magician.

Those 11 year old boys made my day completely worth while. Its an incredible feeling to start the day knowing your son is proud of you. Its an incredible feeling to end the day with another 11 year old boy who touched your heart through a 5 minute conversation.

2 comments:

Alex said...

sweet stories!

Liz said...

Oh, Joy, those eleven-year-old boys are treasures aren't they? All are lucky to have you in their lives.