Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why??????

1. Why would a mother continue to smoke while her son battles cystic fibrosis?
2. Why would another mother of 7 children who is on medicaid and receives WIC (women, infant and children) assistance continue to spend money on cigarettes?
3. Why would a mother and child who both suffer from asthma not use the medicines that will control their asthma and allow themselves to become obese?

I am trying so hard not to be judgemental, but when I see children suffering with an illness that is treatable, I get frustrated.
Cystic Fibrosis is not a disease that can be cured. However, if parents are compliant, these children can live long lives.

4. Why would you continue to do something that could cause your childs illness to be worse?
5. Why would you continue to spend money on cigerrettes instead of food for your children?
6. Why do we make bad choices?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was a kid, my good friend has two brothers who died of CF. It is a terrible disease. I can't imagine not doing everything possible to keep your child more comfortable. You are such a good, tender-hearted nurse.

Joy said...

Thanks for the good, tender-hearted comment. I've been feeling like a judgemental angry nurse.