Monday, December 17, 2007

National Young Scholar

For the second year in a row, my little drummer boy has been nominated for the National Young Scholars Program. This year his band instructor nominated him as well as 5 other students from his school. This nomination gives him the opportunity to go to a University, spend a week with other Young National Scholars and take fun advanced courses and also learn leadership skills. It seems like an incredible experience. It is very expensive and we wouldn't be able to see him the entire week. He could call us, on a cell phone we provide, in the morning and in the evening. I have mixed emotions about letting him go/not letting him go. If I let him go, I will wonder about his safety (mom won't have control). If I don't let him go, will he be losing an opportunity to increase his knowledge and challenge himself? He is such a bright kid, most of the time the way his brain works amazes me. There is also the expense, but you can't put a price on a good education. UUUUGGGGHHHH what's a mother to do?
Here is the website.... http://www.nationalyoungscholars.org/
If you have time, take a look at it and tell me what you think.
We decided not to send him last year because of the expense and because of his age. I'm starting to wonder if that was the right decision.

4 comments:

jj said...

I hate to burst your bubble. My daughter was also nominated for this program. After doing extensive research, I have found it to basically be a scam. It is nothing more than a summer camp. They market their selves as a non-profit,when in fact they are owned by Envision which is a for-profit consulting company. According to their website their goal is not to educate but to make money. Their is no set criteria for teachers to nominate children. I would also look at it as an invasion of your privacy that your son's teacher gave your name and address to a company that is trying to make money off of you.

Unknown said...

Karel:
I too have a son who was nominated.....where did you go to research this program? How did you find out your info?

soccergurl10 said...

hi my name is savannah and i too was nominated if that's what you want to call it by my ex-principle this year and for one it said she was my teacher and two she hasn't been working in my school for the past 2 years!! does anyone know what the heck is going on?? ANYTHING???

NJ said...

My daughter was nominated for this summer. Considering the cost and also reading the comments, we decided to send her to ATS (Academic Talent Search) program offered by Sac state university. Not like national young scholar program, for this program, kids have to take an exam and score high to get in. Also it is cheaper ($15 exam fee+ $35 registration + $294 course fee) and offered by a well known university not an unknown organization. She enjoyed it and learned a lot. ATS offered same type of programs as young scholars program