Sunday, December 23, 2007

Happy Holidays

Recently at work, we were having a conversation about retailers not saying Merry Christmas but saying Happy Holidays. My friends/co-workers were surprised that as a christian I wasn't more upset about it. Some comments were made that "they" are trying to take Christ out of Christmas. My thought was...(and I wish now I would have spoken up, but the words weren't there) nobody can take Christ out of Christmas. That is what Christmas is about. Regardless of how we greet someone during the holidays...oops...Christmas season. As I learned today in a Sunday School class, Christmas is also about a lot of other things. I am not less of a christian because I smile and feel warm inside when I hear the story...Twas the Night before Christmas or I say Happy Holidays.


In the car on the way home from church today we were talking about this subject. My 11 year son said..."What is wrong with saying Happy Holidays? Then all the people who celebrate through other religions are included. " Thank You. My comment was...why can't we all just get along. Why does it matter if Santa comes to your house? My kids know the reason we celebrate Christmas but they still love getting presents. I love seeing their faces light up when they get exactly what they asked for. Do we talk about Jesus birth? You bet. Usually one of the kids will sing Happy Birthday to Jesus on Christmas day. Do we read or watch movies about Santa? You bet. We watched the Jim Carrey version of "The Grinch who stole Christmas" the other night. The best part of the movie for me is when the Mayor is very upset that the Grinch stole Christmas (because all the presents were gone) but the father of Cindy Lou who says something like...even the Grinch can't steal Christmas. We still have each other.


I guess what I am trying to say is, Christmas is about family, friends, presents and so many other things including Jesus birth. Its all in what you make it. Why argue or get offended because someone is celebrating differently than you or not greeting you the way you want them too. I think God just wants us all to get along. Let's be happy for goodness sake it's Christmas.


So, Happy Holidays everyone. I will see you at the recycle bin with all the wrapping paper. I have to go help the kids get cookies ready for Santa and make sure we have enough carrots for all the reindeer.

3 comments:

Liz said...

You said it. We just watched "Miracle on 34th Street" at school, and 60 years they were talking about the commercialization of Christmas. Conner was exactly right! (That's one of the reasons I love kids that age.)

P.S.Heard the party was a hit!

Joy said...

Thanks Liz. I haven't seen Miracle on 34th street yet this year, but we did watch A Christmas Story yesterday and plan to watch Polar Express tomorrow.

Tinman said...

Amen!