Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Incredible Day

I had a wonderful opportunity to go on a "Walk for Character" today. It was the second annual "Walk for Character" in honor on Martin Luther King JR. I walked with all ages and all races. It was about 22 degrees but we were warm. We then were able to hear a local high school choir sing "Let THere Be Peace On Earth" while watching Barack Obama walk towards his swearing in moment. It was an amazing and emotional moment.
I met some incredible Americorps members who work hard to make this area a better place for all. We had a wonderful lunch.
It was amazing to be in a room of volunteers, community members and friends all listening to the Inauguation with excitement, hope and renewed inspiration about the future.

What an incredible day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It certainly was an incredible day!! I'm so glad I could go with you. Thanks so much for including me. I really felt like a part of history.

Tinman said...

I was in the library at my seminary with about 30-40 people staring at a 40 inch LCD plugged into a Laptop playing CNN’s web-feed. The inauguration on the internet. Hmm. Rick Warren immediately angered the theologians and Pastors arrayed around me as the third word out of his mouth was “Father.” But, it was rather moving for me to be in a room of people who passionately disagree with his theology yet recited the Lord’s Prayer with him, not by rote, but with feeling I’ve not heard before from my friends and colleagues.

Still, across the City, watching in a Conference room with a multi-religious group of government lawyers a person we all know and I love more than you was incredibly upset by the use of such a blatantly Christian Prayer.

The President's speech was terrific and a call to service for all of us. I was especially pleased about his call for ecumenical and cross cultural cooperation and a new day of mutual respect!

YES WE DID!

YES WE DID!