Thursday, July 24, 2008

A bittersweet day at work

Bitter....one family grieves the death of a 4 year old after a drowning accident.

Sweet....another family rejoices in the baby steps their 4 year old makes today while battling back from a traumatic brain injury.

Bitter...my boss finds out that she is now the Director of 5 departments instead of 3. She also found out she is loosing her assistant. The position has been eliminated. More work/less help.

Sweet...I became a part of an elite group at work today. I am officially a member of the 20+ club. As of July 18, I have been at CGCMC for 20 years. I am now eligible for the 50% discount in the cafeteria! wow

I have seen many bittersweet days during my 20 years at Glennon but this has probably been one of the hardest. About the same time I had my ID badge changed to the 20+ club badge and I was feeling very proud, my boss and her assistant were receiving the news of the "restructoring".
Its been a tough, bittersweet day. The hardest part of all was thinking about the family that lost their kiddo today. Nothing can be worse than that.

1 comments:

Liz said...

Dear Joy,

You truly were called to be a nurse, and unlike so many people who deal with death so often, your heart has never hardened.The families you work with truly can heal in a more timely way beacuse of your love and care.

Liz