Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Michael

Yesterday I went to work and spent about 4 hours playing Wii games and looking at I Spy books with my favorite patient. I've blogged about him before. He has Cystic Fibrosis and comes in one week or so every 3-4 months for what is called "a tuneup". He is allergic to the antibiotics he receives so we have to desensitize him to his antibiotic by giving him increasing doses every 15 minutes for about 4 hours. We watch for an allergic reaction while giving him the meds.
We are really just there to play with him. At least thats what he thinks. It was going pretty well until I started winning the Wii games. he wasn't too happy.
He is doing pretty well. His mother still smokes. UUUGGGHHH. When she comes back into his room it is hard for me to breathe. I can't imagine what that is doing to him. My smoking lectures go in one ear and out the other. I hope one day she realizes what this is doing to him.
It sure is fun to go to work and play. He has invited me to come watch a movie with him when I work on Thursday. I'm not sure I will be able to do that. I won't have antibiotics to be giving as my cover for playing. I will be sure to spend some time with him though. He reminds me why I went into pediatric nursing. Thanks Micheal...love ya buddy.

2 comments:

Tinman said...

I'm so glad you have these moments. thanks for sharing them!

Liz said...

I think teachers and nurses are "junkies" for those connecting moments; we can take a lot a bad and negative and depressing things just for those times when things connect. I know I am addicted to it, and when people ask me when I plan on retiring I know those "Aha!" moments are what I will miss the most.

Here is the best part; when you make a connection with a patient like Michael, and obviously he connects with you, I think there is an absolute explosion of positive energy and God smiles, and that's why you are the wonderful pediatric nurse that you are. God really loves to smile.